Wednesday 30 June 2021

Blue gear worn out Tongsheng TSDZ2

 TSDZ2: Grinding noise when adding power

Location of "blue gear", nylon 


"Two weeks ago my tsdz2 motor started making a grinding noise whenever i would put power down so after doing some research i came to the conclusion it was the sprag clutch bearing so i replaced it , I went out for a ride but now the grinding noise was getting worse. So today i took out out the blue gear and at first it looked ok but then the middle bearing just fell out of the center of the blue gear and on inspection noticed the splines on the inside had worn away. I replaced the entire blue gear and re greased it up and now it works like a dream. I am only posting this if anyone else might have the same problem." - J. Cooper

Photo from J. Cooper


Photo from R. Steele


-------------  ---------

Some thoughts about the blue gear on Tongsheng TSDZ2:

"But from experience they are very resilient unless you forget to change down at lights or something silly like that. Iv had mine 3 years and is as good as new still. The sprag bearing is it's acillies heel in my opinion, on my 3rd. Seem to get about a year (4000 miles and they literally fall apart). Again very cheap to fix with basic tools.

I'm on 48v running my motor at 864w so is very very hard on the motor and it just copes no worries at all." - P. J. Clack


"I’ve changed 2 in 500 miles. On both occasions I locked the rear wheel while at full power because someone rode in front of me. It is designed to save the gearbox/casings." B. S. Williams


Avoid turbo level to get it last longer

"+24500 Km, 20k on 10,4ah 36v first battery then rebuild 13ah 36v now. same motor and controller, third blue gear. 1 at 1600 km, 2 at 11000 km, 3 til now but starting to slip 1 teeth." - Alexandre Talocchi

"The first one I used (abused) only on turbo level. The second one I used with 36km/h limit and lasted for almost 10k km. This time I´m using 42 km/h limit and never turbo level."
- Alexandre Talocchi


Grease the blue gear.


"I tend to do mine approx. once a year (when I change my sprag one way bearing), or when I can hear the gears chartering on each other. The grease that comes fitted as standard isn't the best quality but would easily last 3-4 maybe 5 years before it totally hardens and becomes unusable. Use good quality stuff and it will outlast the motor." - P. J. Clack

"Use lithium as it doesn't tend to dry out and has good melting point. Do not use any grease with ep2 in the title. It contains pressure additives and will make your one-way roller bearings in the blue cog slip and is virtually impossible to clean up once it gets in. Normal grease will just squeeze out of the rollers if it gets in." - P. J. Clack

"Mobil Grease Ep3, Jos 20000 km and still my first bleu Gear. Regrease any 3000 km" - J. Vender

Mobil SHC 100

MOLYKOTE EM-50L Grease. Lubricating grease developed for plastic components

White Lithium Grease

Mobilgrease 28

"Only thing to watch for is that you aren't using grease with "ep" designation. This means it has pressure additives, which don't play well with oneway bearings such as what is used on the blue gear. The additives stop grease squishing out and the roller bearings can't engage. Found out the hard way myself after a rebuild. Even isopropyl alcohol couldn't shift it so had to buy a new gear again.

I have a big tub of Shimano grease and that's all I use now, ain't cheap but doesn't melt or go rock hard like cheap stuff." - P. J. Clack

------------- VIDEO SHOWING HOW TO REPLACE ----------

How to diagnose TSDZ2 how to change blue plastic gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6guf_4u6d1I

No comments:

Post a Comment